Being in an emergency department or hospital is never fun. It can be even more embarrassing if your drinking is the reason you are here.
In small amounts alcohol can help you to relax, feel more confident and be more sociable but drinking can damage physical and mental health. Is it time for change?
- Alcohol is one of the leading causes of accidents, leading to many injuries and deaths.
- Because alcohol is a depressant, it slows down the brain and affects the body’s responses.
- Alcohol is the world’s no.1 risk factor for ill health and premature death within the 25-59 age group.
- It costs £50-£90 per visit to the ED departments
- Alcohol misuse costs N.Ireland in the region of £800m per year.